WILL TRAVEL ADVISORS EVER RUN THE WORLD?

Some weeks ago I looked into a post about the difference between a travel advisor and a travel agent on Forbes Magazine. And so far, since I decided to develop myself in becoming a Travel Advisor to create trips within Peru and then around the world, I've seen that the term and the number of people related to it are not so famous and high. Instead there are thousands of travel agents around the world, though.




And the truth is that the pictures you see online when you search for the terms "travel advisor" or "travel agent" are the same, so it means that the difference is not that big, but it is actually significant.
So, after reading posts and watching videos about the profession, I came with my own perceptions and conclusions about the difference -please note that I'll be highlighting more the role of the travel advisor / also called consultant as it is my profession and (for me) it is more dedicated-,
Oh, and by the way, this is about my experience as being in contact with travel agents.





So, first, when you go to a travel agency, you're being informed by a travel agent (yeahh, duhh, lol), who is a person that after asking where do you want to make your next trip and other things such as how many people are going with you, if there's a special need required and what do you want to be included on the whole package (like tours, accomodation, meals, transportation) he/she will eventually introduce you to several types of packages, ranging from cheap to expensive prices, depending on how many services they're including and once you take the decision -after talking to your peers of course- you just have to process the payment and, all set! Then you wait for the amazing day of your flight!
They work with different and a lot of destinations and also earn comissions per room and seat booked. 
[Of course they also will reply to any doubts you might have about the weather conditions, the time and other issues about the destination].




Now, about the travel advisor, this person is more like a therapist, I mean, we want to know a lot more than how many people is traveling, special needs and what are you looking for. We also care about your interests, likes, your favorite activities and what brought you to want to visit that specific destination so we can also suggest you different kinds of accomodation, other activities, services and more.

We don't sell specific packages to you with fixed prices, we adjust the whole trip for you (we create with you), because every single person is different and wants to create so many different travel experiences-memories. And to make sure you're having a blast, we also will give you assistance while you're on the way (during the travel process). ♥


And that's why I love it! Because since the beginning of my career, I saw that we deal with all kinds of clients and it taught me about being T O L E R A N T as well as L I S T E N   P A T I E N T L Y   no matter what, always highlighting our professionalism. For some it might be overwhelming to having to adapt to each one but for me it's something rich, because I get to share my culture with others as well as others share their culture with me.





But there's also a small concern... 

Some days ago I was reading about how the world is getting all techie and that a lot of bussinesses are using the artificial intelligence to work, for example translating bots/machines as well as robots that bring you the meals in restaurants, and sometimes it is a worrying thing especially for us, people who work on services -to think that we will be soon replaced.
But, for me, and call me old-fashioned if you like, but there will never be a comparison or a replacement when it's about understanding and empathizing with others, especially when you are serving them to create an experience, whether this is:
 
  • Welcoming and cleaning their rooms at hotels: I mean, a simple "how are you doing today" and a smile can make so much difference on someone's day.
  • Serving meals at restaurants: The more you see a client you get to know his/her favorite meals, condiments, allergies, so you surprise them in such a positive way
  • Planning trips: Do you imagine having a robot advising you about a trip you'd want to make? I mean, of course it's going to be fast and effective, but...

Don't you wish some emotion put into it? I mean, services should not be "monoton-ized".




So, let's give it a chance.

Hey! I'm Patsy, I'm a 24 peruvian year-old girl and I work on creating special and wonderful travel experiences for you, I'll be there on the pre, during and post trip. This is my passion, and I'd be really pleased to be your travel advisor :)






Thank you for reading.
Hope to get in touch with you soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SPEAK SPANISH ON YOUR NEXT TRAVEL TO PERU: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED?

AFRO-PERUVIAN CULTURE MONTH: HOW THEY ENRICHED OUR HERITAGE ♥

TRAVEL TIP: SAVE MONEY AND VISIT MORE