SPEAK SPANISH ON YOUR NEXT TRAVEL TO PERU: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED?

Ahhh, español... One of the most popular languages in the world -having 460 million native speakers- just right after mandarin chinese, which makes it really important.. But it's just so confusing some times! ugh!

... Yeah, I got you. I mean, I totally understand you. Even if I've been speaking spanish my whole life, I seriously get confused many times with the conjugations of the verbs: yo quiero, tu quieres, el quiere, nosotros queremos, ustedes quieren.. woahh.
And don't get me start with the "R" sound -really, I was born with a condition that stops me from being able to make the "rrrrrrrr" sound, but happily now at least I can pronounce well words with in-between R's.



But no matter how tricky it can be for both spanish speakers and non-speakers, it is not impossible to learn, and contrary to the image above, IT DOES HAVE A LOT OF SENSE :)). In fact, to make it interesting, let's see it as a challenge, I mean, wouldn't you want to travel next time and feel totally independent without those language barriers that make you rely on somebody to ask for simple things such as the bathroom, food, souvenirs or even to make friends? Sounds ¡Genial!, right?





Anyways, let's be honest, I'm writing this post to motivate you about expanding your language's wisdom -especially with spanish- and to spread this excitement, know that I'm currently dealing with two languages at the same time: that's chinese and quechua (yeah, they're way so different) -and also knowing already english and french too). 

IF I CAN DO IT, SURELY YOU CAN AND WILL FIND YOURSELF CREATING SPANISH SENTENCES IN A SHORT TIME

 And another thing I'd like to mention is about the importance and greatness that speaking in the language of the destination you're going to has. Of course you're not required to spend years to learn the whole grammar structure or like anyone will surprise you with a text exam... I'm talking about a basic knowledge, to express some common phrases when you find yourself in an important situation like 
quiero un café con leche sin lactosa por favor (means: I want a coffee with lactose-free milk please)
or just in a mood to simply connect with more people through a 
¡hola! ¿me puedes tomar una foto por favor? (means: hey! can you take a picture of me please?), and then keep talking and getting to know that person.



Besides all of this, knowing about the language of your travel destination will help you to create a totally different experience and being able to see things that you never expected to be able to see before! I know this last thing sounded like a twist tongue but I'm talking about digging into those hidden but awesome gems out there!! Yes, visiting the famous places outside of the typical rush hour or getting a little bit lost -of course always having your google maps and phone coverage on with you- and get away from the large groups of tourists wanting to see the same thing and finding the perfect angle for the instagram picture -yep, a cool way to stop from contributing to the overtourism-





Like, for example, this is the bohemian part of Lima where you can find an awesome street art to take very nice pictures. But an important thing to know is that coming here on the weekends won't be a pleasant experience as there are so many locals that take advantage of her time off to go for a walk around here -lots of them, I've experienced it-, and as well as around the historic center of Lima.
(yep, this is a hint to have in mind when you come visit the city)


Other interesting thing to say has to do with a phrase I read on the fluentu's blog, which was
learn the local language or risk looking like a fool
and of course their intention was not make us feel bad or offended, in fact, let's see it as a form to avoid future problems, like, let me tell you a story my dad told me when he was in Wahington d.C last year...
So, he doesn't know any english but he always wanted to go visit the US, so he hired a tour company so everything could be explained in spanish. Anyways, when he was around the Capitol area, there was one moment when he got distracted by taking pictures that he found himself lost with no idea where the bus and people would be... Next thing he -of course a little bit scared and worried- approached a police officer to get directions and asked: "Spanish?" and to make things worse the officer said: "..never", so he got more seriously panicked.
At the end, luckily, he took a cab and -doubly luckily- the driver was a spanish-speaker so they could understand each other and he helped my dad to go back to his tour group.



The lesson? Well my dad have recently told us that this time he definitely wants to complete at least a basic level of english as he's willing to return many more times to the US.




Last but not least, speaking the lannguage of the destination you're visiting shows that you care and that you're interested in the culture no matter of how different yours and its are.
Believe me, locals, especially those in rural areas will appreciate it a lot, will be willing to help you more and will feel so connected to you, because at the end -as my yoga instructor says- we're all one ♥



So, listo para un poco de español? (ready for some spanish?)
In case you're interested I'll be launching a very basic course but including a "Peru-talk" (an overview of some experiences you can live in Peru as well as advices once you get here).

For more information you can fill up the contact form (click on the menu on the upper left of the main page of this blog).




.
Kuskuy Travel Team




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AFRO-PERUVIAN CULTURE MONTH: HOW THEY ENRICHED OUR HERITAGE ♥

TRAVEL TIP: SAVE MONEY AND VISIT MORE